When Disaster Truly Strikes
Make disaster relief a part of your company's mission.
If you're like most Americans, you've been watching the resilient citizens of Texas, Florida, the Lower Keys, Puerto Rico, and now Las Vegas, Louisiana, and Mississippi.
Different parts of the country experience catastrophe every year. For millions, their lives have just been turned upside down, and the problems haven't stopped. So why not work toward building goodwill with customers during times like these? So here are some ideas that could help:
- Work with body shops and insurance companies to provide free estimates at your dealership when floods or hail storms cause massive vehicle damage.
- Consider offering special pricing for services for families impacted by a disaster.
- Donate to a charity that is on the ground. The American Red Cross is the preferred emergency responder for the U.S. government, but it is not the only one.
- Many religions have organized charities that are on the ground and ready to go, such as Catholic Charities, LDS Humanitarian Services, and the Baptist Global Response. Other organizations, such as All Hands, Global Giving, and Americares, are prepped and ready to go. If you can, check with local organizations such as hospitals, churches, and animal shelters to see if you can help them directly.
- Donate physical goods. Check with a local charity before you start. Ask about food, water, hygiene supplies, diapers, formula, and other things that can be hard to come by. Ask first and then gather.
Remember to put on a neighborly attitude when your community is impacted by circumstances beyond their control.
It will go a long way toward improving awareness and attitudes about our industry.
And we certainly could use all the goodwill we can get!